Thursday, September 1, 2011

The search

Assemble ingredients

In two weeks we will host the annual choir retreat for our church choir.
It's always fun to plan the menus for that weekend at the cottage
and try to balance some old favorites with something new.


Prepare leeks

This year I decided I wanted a vegetarian entree
for Saturday night's dinner.
I've been looking for recipes that appeal to me
and that I can do part or all ahead of time.


Melt butter

Last week I made a Baked-Eggplant Parmesan
from Martha Stewart as a test run.
Good, but not great.

Add leeks and cook until tender

A Squash & Leek Lasagne from Eating Well looks delicious,
but reader comments point out how labor intensive it is.
Maybe I'll try it sometime when I'm not feeding 20.


Add wine and heavy cream.

Epicurious has a Butternut Squash & Hazelnut Lasagne that looks good.
And a Wild Mushroom Lasagne.
I love mushrooms. But does everyone?


Prepare pastry

Then I remembered a recipe from the Tribune that I made last year.
Leek Galette, from an article by Leah Eskin
(whose writing is always witty,
whether the recipe is something I'm interested in or not).

Half of the filling and half the tart pastry are in the freezer,
being tested for their willingness to be prepped ahead of time
and united at a later date.


And the other half: put together for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!