Tuesday, August 30, 2011

If I knew then


I just came across this stack of message pads. I'd forgotten I had them. I bought them almost 8 years ago because G had become very unreliable about taking phone messages when I was at work. I thought if I put a message pad and a pen by each phone, he would have no excuse not to make a note of the message. They proved to be remarkably ineffective - he still wouldn't write down messages, which I found absolutely baffling.

What I didn't know was that he was already in the grip of dementia, but it was manifesting itself as apathy more than anything else. There weren't signs of forgetfulness, which is what I thought dementia was all about. I thought he was being difficult, not that he was sick.

I think it's time to convert these to another use. Scratch pads, perhaps.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I remember back then. We were all so puzzled but didn't know what to do. You have educated us over those eight years.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you!