Friday, February 17, 2012

Oh, bother.

I found out Wednesday morning that my sweet little part time job will be ending at the end of this month. It's been the perfect fit, though I didn't realize how perfect at the time: close to home, ultimately flexible, with the nicest, kindest boss ever. When I started this job 3 years ago, G could be home by himself with no problem. But as he has gotten sicker, my freedom to leave work for emergencies has become more and more important. And when G started at the day program, they required that I be within 15 minutes in case of emergencies. So it isn't just the proximity, it's also the ability to walk (run) out of work to take care of things.

My boss' business has been in a decline the last six months, so I wasn't totally surprised by this, but it does make me sad - for him, as well as for me. It forces me to reevaluate our lives, take a look at my own talents and abilities (something I never like doing), and then work on finding something new that will work for us.

I have several friends who have just sent me some information about possible work from home, so I'll be looking into that. And I know that at some point, something will come up. But when that will be, and what that will be, are yet to be seen. Patience, patience, patience. Here's another opportunity to apply and practice my word for 2012: Present.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry, Ginnie. I too have a perfect little part-time job which is close to home and is just enough to keep things going with what Mr. M brings in.

    It is hard to go through that re-evaluation process, and face changes of this sort. I hope you can find something congenial and comfortable which will work out well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do hope you find just the right job quickly . Surely with the work experience you've built up over the last three years to add to your CV and your excellent reference , you're eminently employable .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think something wonderful is waiting for you, perhaps even looking for you. It's hard to start over but exciting too. Godspeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's sad, Ginnie. Hope that something suitable is waiting for you.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Ginnie, what an upheaval. Sending good vibes your way. I'd like to echo Dee's thoughts and words.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you!