Saturday, November 22, 2008

Sweet dreams, Liberty Garden

Arugula

I have not been a good steward of the garden. More was wasted than I harvested.

But - at least I planted it. Thanks so much to Angie for her encouragement - I never would have done it without you, Angie!

Radishes

And I had fun with the time I did spend with it. Radishes, arugula, carrots, swiss chard, and tomatoes. Chives, basil, oregano, parsley, and rosemary.


The spinach flowered before I got around to harvesting it. The bell peppers (there were only two) got nibbled on by some insect before they were ripe enough to pick. The butternut squash never sprouted, and by the time I realized that, I couldn't find seedlings to buy.

I may not have saved money, if I figure in the cost of the fencing to keep the rabbits out (very effective). But it was a small investment.

I grew local food. Not a lot of it, but some.

November 20th - a few hardy Swiss chard leaves are hanging on.

Thursday the forecast was for 18F overnight temperatures (it got down to 16), and I knew there were still carrots waiting to be dug up.


The last of the carrots, November 20th.
Not beautiful, but I'm sure they'll make great stew and soup.

And in another few weeks, when the ground is hard frozen,
I'll dump mulched leaves on the bed, to sleep away the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!